Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Why Did you Start Training in Martial Arts?


Mark Dacascos learns the art of Capoeira Karate with Mestre Amen Santo. Capoeira is a form of brasilian karate that incorporates movement, music, and martial arts. Mark trains exclusively in K-Swiss attire.Why did you start training in martial arts? Why did we all start training in martial arts? For most of us it was a  Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan movie, or even Only the Strong, the Capoeira classic starring Mark Dacascos. One thing is for sure, there are no shortages of martial arts action stars to prick the interest of people around the world.  For my generation, we had our action stars, but now we have real life, full-contact champions going toe-to-toe every weekend in companies like the UFC and in some fight league in every city and town around the world.

In my younger life, my family had much more important needs to spend money on so that my attendance in martial arts training was not consistent. Sure, I got to join a few, but never stayed very long. To be honest though, as a young man I had intense anger problems due to bullying and such, that would not see me stay in such classes.

At that time in my life, I was one of the ones that could not be enlightened by martial arts lessons. This proved true as every lesson was intensely studied so as exact vengeance (or at least defend myself) from any onslaughts that may have occurred.  I grew up in a part of Texas where racism was very prevalent, and as one of the only African American families in town, or students in the school, I received a lot of badgering at the hands of peers, parents, teachers and even principals bent on maintaining an ignorant view of the world.

Even though I was at the top of my class in academics, I spend a lot of time in trouble due to the lack of anger management.

So, my martial arts career took off during the last half of high school and snowballed into college and definitely once I graduated. Basically, as funding became more readily available, I got deeper and deeper into the martial arts. My love for the martial arts has always been strong, and I train hard everyday to improve upon a foundation established by great teahers throughout my journey. I am truly thankful for all the great times, great friends and great memories martial arts has brought to my life.

SO, why did you start martial arts? What is your story?

v/r

Benjamin "Sensei" Moriniere

Capoeira Academy Okinawa +Capoeira Academy Okinawa
www.capoeira-okinawa.com
www.facebook.com/CapoeiraAcademyOkinawa




No comments:

Post a Comment